Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Title remorse ?

Last week in her blog Nursing Salon, Marie Manthey wondered about the impact of taking the title of nurse manager v. head nurse.  If the head nurse was in charge of nursing for a respective area, what or who does the nurse manager take charge of?

As a 'patient care manager', yet another iteration of the title, I must say the title does impact the relationships I have with colleagues.  My position is rich with leadership supports and tools that advance my management abilities.  Likewise, my colleagues at the bedside are expert nurses who do the heavy and complex work of patient care shift in and shift out 24 / 7 with incredible outcomes.

More and more I have found myself putting forward to all my colleagues that I am first and foremost a nurse at heart.  For those who see me as a management leader you should know that this means my value lies in bringing forward the voice of the nurse / patient relationship in light of managements work.  For colleagues at the bedside, I am the head nurse.  I have shared experiences and stories just like you with patients and families and I willingly stand for our units nursing practice and lead us professionally.   

I have appreciated the kick to consider my title.  The current complexity of our organizations calls on me to know and develop many connections to meet the needs of patients, staff, and my employer.  In each of these connections, I leverage leadership and managment tools to perform my role as head nurse.

How about you ?

No comments:

Post a Comment