Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Add Value

Good Morning MOLN District G members -

Recently I have been thinking about value at work.  When value is defined as getting the best outcome with the resources available it can redefine how you look at your work.  Consider the places you can get the best outcome for the best input and it will refocus your work - for me it was not so obvious.  To stop and consider this equation has served up a different list of priorities.

Read this blog post from the New Yorker by Atul Gawande to see how he proposes value can be added to health care - it is short, engaging, and can add perspective for the nurse leader on where to focus our work.  And it made me consider my nursing leadership - where can my energies be applied to get the best outcome?  I was encouraged to have fresh eyes and examine the stream of work that flows across my desk each day in a new light.  What "super-utilizers" exist for the nurse leader that we can tackle and add value for ourselves and our teams?

Some "super-utilizers" from my desk -
+ Inadequate or absent communication on your team.
+ Poor patient hand offs.
+ Lack of focus on the patient.

Awareness and an application of the talents you and your team possess are what is needed to add value to your practice, your team, and health care.  Join me in a discussion of how you are tackling your list -

Mike Skobba

No comments:

Post a Comment