Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Culture

Moving to a new organization, taking on a new role, or facing a challenge are opportune times to assess a team culture and my role in sustaining, shaping, or rejecting the culture. Having recently begun working in a new hospital I have been a forced student of nursing culture.  I'd like to provide a few recent thought  provoking pieces that I have come across related to nursing leadership and culture. 

@ColorMeNurse on Twitter (Marie Manthey) posted a blog on the culture of hospitals and nursing leadership.  The blog post, From Where I Stand, correlates the best and worst of hospitals to the culture of nursing leadership.  The comment from Mary Koloroutis (RBC author) advances the discussion and gave me pause to reflect upon in how I lead culture in my work.

Just this week I used this short video, What is Culture? for its hopeful message that culture is what we make it, it is what we love, it is the collective 'us'.  It provides a decidedly positive and forward looking perspective to shaping culture.  Take a look.

And to plug our upcoming 5th Tuesday event Tweet Camp:  Social Media and Nursing Leadership I would like to highlight that each of these key pieces of content came to me via social media channels.  There is important and relevant material to help you in your daily work of nursing leadership on blogs, Twitter, YouTube and more.  See you on the 29th.

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Mike, Thanks for the insight on how culture defines us and our nursing profession. I also love jumping into Marie's salons and reading from our esteemed colleagues on a variety of topics. I think for us who have moved between a multitude of organizations along our career we have seen the best and worst of cultures up close and personal. I am so fortunate to have found an organization now that exudes a positive one!

    ReplyDelete